So if you have ever breastfed, you will know that it can be extremely time-consuming, especially in the first few weeks.
However, if you want to produce milk you have to eat.
That is why snacking is probably one of your main sources of food for a good while, unless you have a frozen meal stash or a personal chef at your disposal.
Which is why I wanted to make a list of all the possibilities for snacking because you probably have already a lot on your mind.
Trust me, been there and done that and am still doing that!
These will also serve me in the future because I also found myself forgetting to eat because I just had no time to cook or do anything while breastfeeding.
PS. Don’t feel overwhelmed by the pictures, these are simple snacks!
Beware as this list contains some foods that can cause gas or allergic reactions in your baby.
Acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus can cause gas and other allergic reactions.
Make sure that you are aware of which foods cause adverse reactions in your baby as some babies react while others don’t.
Remember, this list is just a general snack list of quick and ready, no heat foods, it isn’t meant for all breastfeeding moms.
If you would like a separate post on foods deemed SAFE for all moms, shoot me a comment below and I’ll make it happen (I know how stressful it can be eating while breastfeeding!).
Thanks for your understanding!
Pin it for later!
1. Fruits (something quick like an apple, a banana or some berries)
2. Hummus with toast, crackers or celery/carrot
3. Baked tortilla chips and a layered dip
4. Carrots or celery (other veggies that work are bell peppers and broccoli) and ranch or another dip.
5. Granola or fiber bars (there are so many to choose from!)
6. Trail mix
7. Fruit leather rolls
8. Fruity snacks (can be addicting and full of sugar, so limit intake)
9. Deli meat and cheese sandwich (simple: bread, your choice of spread, a slice of deli meat and a slice of cheese; cut into triangles or squares for snacking)
10. Dried fruits (just watch out for sugar content!)
11. Avocado (salted and peppered) and toast.
There are so many ways you can expand on this by adding tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, radishes, or even a runny or boiled egg (but that requires heat)!
12. Canned tuna or chicken sandwich (they sell cans of these at Costco, we’ve always just mixed in some light mayo with mustard and pasted it on bread.
If you want a healthier alternative, skip the mayo and mix with a ripe avocado instead).
You can also use this mix as a dip for anything, like celery!
13. Salami, cheese, and olives… my favorite snack bar!
14. Cheese sticks
15. Beef jerky or Salmon Jerky (and there’s many more!)
16. Crackers with ham and cheese (just cut deli ham and cheese into squares)
17. Apple with peanut butter
18. Baked tortilla chips and store (fresh) made salsa/Pico de gallo, guacamole or cheese
19. Dill pickle chips (also tastes great with canned tuna on toast)
20. Granola and Greek yogurt or honey (add some berries and banana slices for some extra yum)
21. Cream cheese and toast (this could also be topped with any deli meat and cheese or with smoked salmon).
If you want to go gluten-free just replace toast with a cucumber (portions are smaller too!)
22. Cubed tomatoes, salted and peppered and drizzled in olive oil… add avocado cubes and cucumber for extra flavor and texture!
Better yet, just go for the whole salad! It’s easy to make and super tasty!
23. Peanut butter and light jam on a slice of toast
24. Spinach and strawberries (if you want to add a quick dressing, there are store pre-prepared versions, poppy seed dressing, or you could quickly make your own, just combine 1 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp sour cream, and 1 tsp of sugar)
25. Mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes and olives drizzled in olive oil (*optional* and balsamic vinegar and basil)
26. Cream cheese and dried fruit on toast
27. Refrigerated walnuts (gives them a crunchy freshness) in honey
28. Tomatoes and crumbled feta (*optional* and basil).
If you don’t mind the calories, mixing together mayo, shredded mozzarella cheese, and pressed garlic and topping it on tomato slices is oh-so-good too!
30. Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.)
31. Pretzels and Chex Mixes
32. Yogurt by itself or with some fruits and honey or even jam!
33. Brie on toast or crackers! Deliciousness!
34. Crackers or Pita Chips with Spinach Artichoke Dip (or your own choice of dip; I like Buffalo Chicken Dip!)
35. Dark Chocolate covered Fruit Bites (you can buy these pre-made or make your own)
36. Popcorn.. not the healthiest unless it is air-popped and plain, then it actually is. Just read the labels (1)!
37. Yogurt bark (with fruits and/or granola) or melts
38. Figs and dates!
Although both would go into the ‘fruits’ category, these aren’t the first that come to mind when one thinks about fruits.
Nonetheless, they mean for great healthy snacks!
39. Pinwheels and wraps.
You can use either use hummus or ranch as the base and then fill with cut up veggies or deli meats and cheeses before rolling it up!
40. Cucumber, cream cheese, and salmon bites.
Ok, so these might be an appetizer and not as quick on the prep, however, the set up could be adjusted for time’s sake.
I just really like this snacking combination!
It’s gluten free, healthy, and oh so tasty!
You can even add some capers for an extra kick!
41. Bagels and cream cheese.
You can top it with something savory like salmon, deli meat, or your choice of cheese.
You can also top it with something sweet like jam or cut up fruits.
If you want to make it healthier, you can use avocado instead of the cream cheese.
42. No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Lactation Balls.
Since we are talking about no-heat and quick breastfeeding snacks, why not something that also helps boost your milk supply?!
Check out this quick and awesome recipe!
Get some store-bought rotisserie chicken and snack away. Honestly, I just eat it like that with some fresh bread because it’s so good!
I don’t know about you, but I’m hungry!
I hope these inspire your taste buds for some other snack combinations.
If so, let me know in the comment section below so that I could add them to the list!
Until next time!